I Is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries) - Sue Grafton

This is the most complex plot that the Alphabet Series has introduced yet. There are a lot of characters and keeping them straight made me stop and think sometimes. Again, I love seeing just how much dogged footwork and fact-checking is involved in the PI business. If you're a Grafton fan, you'll love this one. If you're not already a fan, this is a great example of her work!

Kinsey is renting an office from a local lawyer and he needs her help.  He's in a wrongful death civil trial and his PI dropped dead of a heart attack.  He needs Kinsey to pick up the pieces of the investigation.  It's a six year old murder case where the defendant wasn't convicted but now the victim's ex-husband is taking him to civil court.  As Kinsey goes through the work of the other PI, she finds so many problems with his work that she almost has to start from scratch.  There are a lot of people to investigate and a lot of trails to follow.

The investigation took some turns I wasn't expecting and that's always a good thing.