Treachery in Bordeaux (The Winemaker Detective Series) - 'Jean-Pierre Alaux',  'Noël Balen'

Treachery in Bordeaux

A quick read that will immerse you in the world of French wine!

Benjamin Cooker is a acknowledged wine expert and consultant living in beautiful Bordeaux with his wife and dog. He has an idyllic life consulting about and writing about his favorite subject, wine.  He’s just hired a very competent new assistant and life is good until one of his friends contacts him desperately in need of help.  Something is causing the wine in his winery to go bad.  Simple as it may sound, it leads Cooker and his assistant down some very interesting paths.

This book combines a fairly simple mystery with the rich feel of the French winemaking industry.  The descriptions of the wine and the food are mouth-watering!  There is a lot of background information on the history of the region, art and architecture which may slow the book down for some people but I found it very interesting.  It is a translation from French so I’m sure in the original language there was even more richness and depth but I could feel the atmosphere and that’s one of the main things I look for in a good book. I’m a sucker for just about anything French so I’ll be looking for more in this series!

I received this book from Netgalley and I appreciated the opportunity to read and review it.