Fallen Land - Patrick Flanery

Nightmarish view of the American future! Fallen Land is a novel of what can happen as the American dream disintegrates. The economic crisis and the fear after 9/11 work together to form a creepy, haunting version of an America run by security firms who’s main interests are control and profit.

It begins on a dark note and never lets up. There is no joy or lightness in this book but it’s entirely engrossing as it moves toward the inevitable conclusion.

The lives of 5 people intertwine and they each have a distinct voice, point of view and history. First is Paul Krovik, ruined by the economic crisis that shut down his construction business. We meet Louise Washington, run off her land by debts and eminent domain rulings. And finally the Noailles family, just moved west from Boston, father Nathaniel, mother Julia and son Copley.

This is one of the creepiest books I’ve read in a long time. Two fears, someone living in your house that you don’t know about and Big Brother watching your every move, are exploited on every page. The writing is almost flawless. It’s smooth and it flows, carrying you along with it. A number of disturbing topics are discussed so be forewarned but never in a exploitative way. They're just what’s happening or has happened in these people’s lives.

The book has a heavy, grave feel to it but it’s very hard to put down once you get into the story. I’ll be thinking about this one for a long time.

I received this book from Goodreads and appreciated the opportunity to read and review it.