A Basket of Trouble (A Claire Hanover Mystery) - Beth Groundwater

A setting in Colorado Springs' Garden of the Gods is sure to get my attention and that's where this contemporary American cozy is set. Claire Hanover's brother Charley has established his new riding stable there hoping to leave behind troubles of the past. When one of his wranglers is found dead at the grand opening, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Events keep going from bad to worse as the wrangler's family threatens to sue, rival stables try to get his license suspended and then a second dead body shows up. Claire has to step in to try to help her brother before it's too late.

This is the third in this series but the first one I had read. I do believe that I should have read the others first. There are lots of references to past events that made reading this one not as smooth as I would have liked since I didn't know what the past events were. No trouble following the mystery, just a feeling that everyone knew something I didn't know.

I'm undecided about whether I'll continue with this series. The writing fell a little flat to me at times and despite a setting that interests me, I didn't feel quite as drawn in as I usually do with this genre. To be fair, I'll probably see if I can find the first two to read and then I'll have a better judgement of this one.

I received this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.